Saturday, April 28, 2012

Flash 7 new 52

The Flash #7
Story: Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato
Art: Manapul
Colors: Buccellato
Letters: Wes Abbott
Cover: Manapul
Variant Cover: Dale Keown
Assistant Editor: Darren Shaw
Editor: Brian Cunningham

     Flash #7 is the wrap up of the two part Captain Cold story but yet it felt like 1 1/2 storyline. The art is much better than the writing in this issue as the second half confused me. Too much of a setup for a one shot if you ask me.

     The story makes no sense as the battle ends halfway through the issue and Captain Cold appearing on only one page after that. The Gorilla city and Central city scenes I feel like we're wasted pages. Gorilla city is further down the line. The Central city scene in my opinion disputes something that I wondered early on in the issue. One panel has Patty Spivot saying Barry as she is saved by the Flash as if she heard Barry's voice. However, later on she blames the Flash for Barry disappearing. That shows me she has not connected the dots to the truth.

     The art once again is top notch in the issue. My favorite piece is Captain Cold looking frozen on page 10 to me it is visually stunning yet it seems right. My second favorite were pages 18–19. The mixture of the lightning on the Flash and the color streaks showing what direction he is coming from gets me excited more than pages 12-13 which looks too busy and why is Dr. Elias saying Flash twice.

     The issue could have been better had the battle lasted three to five more pages. I fail to see how the Gorrilla one page relates to the rest of the issue. Five separate scenes after page 10 just seems like too much especially when only three of them may connect to the next issue. The Cold hospital scene would have helped the book flow better if it came closer to the end battle scene but definitely before the Gorilla scene.

7 (out of 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment